What is Hardware Firewall?
A hardware firewall is a physical appliance that is deployed to enforce a network boundary. All network links crossing this boundary pass through this firewall, which enables it to perform inspection of both inbound and outbound network traffic and enforce access controls and other security policies.
Best Hardware Firewalls for Home and Small Business Networks
Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway (USG)
With the Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway, you get an advanced hardware firewall and router that supports Gigabit Ethernet speeds and even more. While the device is intended for use in businesses, it is affordable enough for home use as well.
The device sits between the Internet and the local WiFi router, routing all traffic before it even reaches the router. All devices connected to the network are then monitored and protected through the advanced network management and security features.
Cisco Meraki MX64W
- Cisco Meraki MX Security Appliances are ideal for organizations with large numbers of distributed sites. Since the MX is 100% cloud man – aged, installation and remote management is simple. The MX has a comprehensive suite of network services, eliminating the need for multiple appliances. These services include Layer 7 application firewall, content filtering, web search filtering, SNORT based intrusion prevention, web caching, Intelligent WAN with multiple uplinks and 4G failover.
- The MX provides a complete networking and security solution that typically requires up to four appliances: branch router, next-generation firewall, Layer 7 traffic shaper, and CIPA-compliant content filter.
- Enterprise Security and Support License features include:
Zyxel Next Generation VPN Firewall
Zyxel Next Generation VPN Firewall offers Internet security both locally and remotely. After installation, users can access their local networks remotely through secure VPN connections.
This device was designed as an enterprise-level solution for enhanced security and remote VPNs. However, the simplified installation process and affordable price make it suitable for home use as well.
The existing Internet connection and router or modem connect directly to the Zyxel Firewall, which also includes four Ethernet ports. Zyxel Firewall includes support for IPv6 and multi-WAN failover.
Without subscription, the device is still a solid hardware firewall device.
Bitdefender Box 2
- UNLIMITED PROTECTION AND SUPPORT: Bitdefender BOX 2 plugs into your (Non-Mesh/Non-Google Wi-Fi) router and protects an unlimited number of Wi-Fi and internet connected devices using Total Security Unlimited. Bitdefender BOX 2 includes unlimited complimentary support, as well as automatic updates to the latest security technologies.
- ADVANCED THREAT DEFENSE: Our full-featured, cross-platform network security suite ensures all your Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and IoT devices are fully protected.
- COMPATIBILITY: This is * Firewalla RED * (NOT THE FIREWALLA BLUE), The IPS functionality is limited to 100 Mbits. This device may not be compatible with all routers. Please look at the “specification sheet” document in this listing, or compatibility guide in the manufacturing site for routers that works with Firewalla. May require login to router and do basic configuration.
- COMPLETE CYBERSECURITY PROTECTION – Firewalla’s unique intrusion prevention system (IDS and IPS) protects all of your home wire and wireless internet of things devices from threats like viruses, malware, hackng, phishing, and unwanted data theft when you’re using public WiFi.